AFRICAN BONANZA

DREAMS TAKE TIME, PATIENCE, SUSTAINED EFFORT, A WILLINGNESS TO FAIL IF THEY ARE EVER TO BE ANYTHING MORE THAN DREAMS.

Sunday, March 11, 2007

PICTURES GALORE!

Two chubby babies! Can you find me? It's not exactly as hard as finding waldo!!!!!!! Stealing babies! Most amazing thing to watch. Women in a line bringing water for making mud! Can you carry 20L of water on your head? It's hard, trust me - I've tried! TA-DA. Now I'm officially an African woman!
My good friend Joseph who helps me with house survey's. His wife is the one that does my washing too - God Bless her!!!! This is a picture of the boda-boda bycicle that I must take at least once a day! The men use the water that the women have collected to make lots and lots of mud out of the soil so that the women can make the walls! They seem to know their jobs quite well and there is no sharing of duties between the men and women either! Here are the toilets which we'll be using TOMORROW! Thank you DONORS :) Women mudding the classroom walls... along with Solveig, the German volunteer that I live with here in Kenya! No such thing as a babysitter here! Where mamma goes, baby goes! Patiently waiting for mom to finish the walls of the classroom! Best behaved kids in the universe!
Group of children enjoying thier daily cup of porridge that was donated by the red cross here in Kenya!

They don't want to go to class today because of all the visitors that have come to do the mudding!

My friend Omiele. I think he should be in a sears catalog magazine! Don't be decieved by his innocent face, he's quite naughty!!!!!!!

CHRISTINE! The reason that the kids have porridge each day! Here she is preparing some sukuma-wike (a staple dish here) for the women who have come to mud!

Taking a rest! They put on their best outfit even to come mud! I don't get it!!!!!

I think this picture should be printed and framed!!!!!

My little friend Emmaculate having some porridge!

Great smiles!

How many can squeeze in this picture? They LOVE having their picture taken!

Some children waiting for mom to finish mudding the classroom! Babysitters don't exist. If the mom goes, the baby goes too!

Lining up for porridge served by Christine!

Hungry faces... little Aqram squished into the middle!

They just can't wait! You'd be in a hurry too if a cup of porridge might be your only meal for the day!

Good stuff, happy kids!

Kids on their way back from visiting the primary school across the street!

CLOSE UP!

Three little girls on their way to school. Some of these kids walk for about an hour in each direction. I get tired going to their homes to do surveys and can't believe these small children manage to come all this way!

Some of the women that came to help mud the classroom. They are HARD workers!

A picture of the path I bike to the school each day!
This is what the structure of the classrooms look like. They are made with wooden posts and then the men come and wrap really strong grass around and around and around in order for the ladies to mud! It's quite the experience to watch all of this happen. Sometimes I am completely speachless!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the pictures.

7:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW these are fantastic pictures I am very impressed..

Auntie marg

7:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

very nice.i like :D

11:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey....what awesome shots. You are doing great. Wonderful to see the ones you are helping and even the road you travel. Also...you look gorgeous as usual! Love and prayers. grammajo

5:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mandy-Pants. Love the pics. Cute little buggers. I'm glad you are the one to help them, they are very fortunate.
love
ashley

5:41 PM  
Blogger AMANDA said...

YAY !I'm glad you are enjoying these pictures. I just opened up to look at them again myself! I'm on my way to the school again. Just finished checking on a woman in the hospital. I'll update again really soon! No time right now!

11:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey girl
Just started reading up on the things you have been doing, amazing think I would enjoy it myself. Thinking of you and miss you lots. Love always Mel

9:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW Amanda, your really doing it! The pictures are amazing and I'm so happy for you. You really are a great person. Hope all is well and keep doing an amazing job! Luke says hi and we all miss you, keep up the good work. Love your friends from MAnitoulin Island,

Trish & Luke :)

12:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home