AFRICAN BONANZA

DREAMS TAKE TIME, PATIENCE, SUSTAINED EFFORT, A WILLINGNESS TO FAIL IF THEY ARE EVER TO BE ANYTHING MORE THAN DREAMS.

Thursday, February 08, 2007

LOVE ONE ANOTHER!!!!!!!

I know it is strange that I'm posting 2 days in a row but I just have to tell about my morning. I got up bright and early as usual around 6:30-7am and got ready to go to Tumaini Academy in Shibanzee. We had been looking forward to this day since I arrived since it would be the day that we said good-bye to Celestria and Chaz and I would talk to the guardians of the orphans about the program that I will be starting. I was quite nervous but after making my way through the children swarming me I got to talk to the handful of adults that had come to show their support. Unfortunately, with the children being orphans, we see 92 children and only 15 adults. With Benson translating for those who don't know English I explained who I was and how they should be very proud about what they have accomplished already. I told them that I wanted to see the children to all be very healthy and had them brainstorm ideas of how to accomplish this. They managed to decide on washing uniforms, hands and digging a well for better access to water. This was exactly what I'd hoped for because I didn't want to go in and say 'Hello the Mzungu is here to tell you all what to do' which is what happens too often. Instead, my hope is to be seen as an equal to them - just a participant that will learn from them every day. So, I told them to come back on Monday and that I would have a surprise for the children. I've purchased toothbrushes and plastic cups for each one as well as hand washing basins and drying towels. I still need to get soap, toothpaste etc. before the end of the weekend too. I've managed to track down a dentist (after a few hours of wandering in Bungoma yesterday) that has agreed to come on Monday morning to talk to the kids about the importance of having clean teeth and how to properly brush. SO, I really hope that this hygiene program starts off well and I have high hopes that it will be a great success after today. Everyone seemed very excited about what Monday would bring. Soon we will have a well dug and also 5 toilets. Two for girls, two for boys, and one for staff. I'd done some research and insisted to Benson that we have separate toilets for girls and boys because I'd read some journal articles online about how female participation in school greatly increased when this was done. I really can't wait! I had to keep myself together when they did the good-bye to Celestria. I was fighting tears. These people have nothing... and when I say nothing, I strictly mean in terms of material things. But - they had all brought her presents. There were bags of maize flour, avocados, chicken eggs.... and even TWO CHICKENS! You have to realize how bit of a deal it is for these people to give like this. I had to laugh because Cel was in tears and Benson was telling how she would take all the gifts home with her to Whales.... of course the chickens will have their own seats on the plane! I got the job of hauling one of the chickens back to Mamma's house. I was wishing the entire time that someone was following me with a video camera because I had this chicken under my arm whose feet were tied together while I was riding on the back of the Boda-Boda (bycicle). Kuka was following on his own bike hollering "are you ok my daughter". The kids were giggling on the side of the road at the site of me carrying a kuku (chicken!). Then.... I had to take it on the matatu as well and the laughing only got worse. If you do any sort of work here as a Mzungu it is absolutely hillarious to everyone! We dropped Mamma off to head home and I gladly passed the chicken along to her and headed into Bungoma. So here I am at the internet cafe again.... I have a meeting with the dentist about what we are doing at the school but first I'm going to head to an amazing little 'restuarant' that a new friend showed me for some Ugali, beef fry and Chipate! Go well! (as they would say in South Africa)

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey amanda! its emily from work... i just wanted to tell you i've been reading all your posts and your trip sounds amazing! what an experience..i can't even imagine. i hope your health program is successful, i'm sure it will be

Canada misses you!

Emily

8:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So many people ask about you. I'm so glad that there is a family there taking good care of you.

Love you

8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there darlin!
Things sound pretty CRAZY over ur way. I'm having the hardest time imagining what it would be like to sleep in a mud hut with a cow outside my window and no running water. Talk about a huge transition. Your absolutely amazing for being able to do this and I have to say, rather inspiring as well.

This is truly a life altering experience. I find it all so exciting and I'm just reading about it. I feel like I would like to go, to actually understand it, but I'm honestly overcome with fear when I imagine actually doing it. I commend you not only for your bravery, but for your persistence and the fact that you will leave these people better off then when you came.
You should be very proud of yourself and believe me when I say I will gladly work to fundraise on your behalf and I will be proud to tell people of the good things you are doing over there.

Take care of yourself. We may have had our differences, but you have been in my life as long as I can remember and I really miss you.

Lots of love doll & keep being so god dam gorgeous!
TARA

8:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi Amamda....I feelso much better now I know how you are living. Sounds like you are being well watched after. Think your month wandering around was good as you got a feel of what the continent is all about before you started work. Wishing you lots of success with your efforts...the children are being blessed by having you. I have been away and heading off again but will be following your saga. luvgrammajo

8:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda:
Enjoyed your blog and reading about your experiences. We have posted the fund-raiser on the Anchor Web-site. Just spoke to Jim Moodie from the Expositor and they will likely do a story. Stay safe and we are going to send you some $$$ to help those kiddos.

Bruce Kelly Sean and Meagan

7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home