AFRICAN BONANZA

DREAMS TAKE TIME, PATIENCE, SUSTAINED EFFORT, A WILLINGNESS TO FAIL IF THEY ARE EVER TO BE ANYTHING MORE THAN DREAMS.

Saturday, January 20, 2007

Crazy South African Lingo

"the boot" = the trunk of the car, "robot" = traffic lights (let me tell you how confused I was when I asked for directions and drove through set after set of lights wondering where the stupid robot was... grrrrr, "lekker" - it's all good or i liked it... etc. I like this word, it's used constantly and I have started throwing it into my own sentences quite a bit without even thinking about doing it anymore!, "Joll" or "Jolling" - a joll is a party so you could say 'that was a lekker joll'.... a great party! Or... where are we going jolling?, "kiff" - basically it was just too good to say 'lekker', "posi" - your house, "bliksen" - OH BLIKSEN, I stubbed my toe!, "hamba" - go home, get away from me etc. Good to know when harassed by street people, then they don't think you are a tourist anymore!, "oh shame" - This might be my personal favourite. They say 'oh shame' constantly but it sounds more like 'awww shame' and they usually throw 'man' on the end as well. They'll say oh shame in the exact same tone whether you were robbed or you spilled something on your shirt. "Howz it?" - hello, how are you?, "Bru" - dude, mate, geezer, bro, "A good oak" - a nice guy/girl, bloody good chap, "Braai" - African cuisine... basically a rough looking barbeque

4 Comments:

Blogger Craig said...

You forgot "Howz it?" - hello, how are you? "Bru" - dude, mate, geezer, bro. "A good oak" - a nice guy/girl, bloody good chap.

4:16 AM  
Blogger AMANDA said...

Haha thanks Craig you crazy England chap! I'll have to add that when I get less lazy than I'm feeling now. And we can't forget the Braai either which I'm about to go and enjoy. Have fun working again in Johannesburg... I get two more days of sand and surf then it's out to Kenya to test my survival skills!!!!!

10:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Amanda! Keep posting the lingo so I will know what you are talking about when you come home. Good luck in Kenya.

4:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha Ha I enjoyed the lingo lesson. Talk to you tomorrow or I guess today for you

Love you

6:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home