AFRICAN BONANZA

DREAMS TAKE TIME, PATIENCE, SUSTAINED EFFORT, A WILLINGNESS TO FAIL IF THEY ARE EVER TO BE ANYTHING MORE THAN DREAMS.

Friday, December 08, 2006

Jo'burg

Wow wow wow. I've only been here for two days but I'm already convinced I came to the right place and I might just stay forever! I arrived in Johannesburg at 10pm and after dodging some sketchy people offerring me rides at the airport I finally made it to a place called Petra Backpackers. I woke up in the morning to the sound of strange birds I'd never heard before and 20 degree heat at 7am. Pretty awesome itself. I met a man named Dave here at the backpackers that is from the coast so I went with him for the afternoon to see some of the markets. It's almost impossible for me not to buy one of everything but I already can't manage to carry the stuff I did bring! We ended up pub hopping and I quickly noticed that it only costs about 1 CAD for a beer. Very dangerous! Anyhow he eventually left to catch a flight to Dublin so I stayed at the pub with some new younger people I met there. They took good care of me and I ended up pretty spoiled. I went out to a dinner party with them at this posh seafood restaurant that had incredible food and then it was off to a karaoke bar. I ended up doing a lot of singing and the DJ announced that it was my turn each time by calling up "miss canada". So, needless to say everyone in the place knew I was from Canada and it was not a place that travellers went so everyone else was very local. I ended up having a fan club of about six 40 year old women that were out celebrating a friends marriage and they were completely insane. Anyways the day was great and although I can't quite see straight because of extreme lack of sleep I am very ready for more. Tomorrow morning I fly to Cape Town so it's a night of sleep for me which is very much needed!!!! I hope you all are enjoying the huge amount of snow I left behind.... I'm quite content with the 30 degree weather here!!!! Chow!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you are having some good experiences and meeting good people. Take care of yourself and stay in touch.

5:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Goood to hear from you. You have worked hard, be safe have some fun. Weather is crappy here tomorrow. Love

5:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow sounds great and wish I was with you and away from this darn snow...love auntie marg

4:43 AM  
Blogger jam said...

Hi Amanda.

WE don’t know each other but your Blog goes a long way to mitigate this. It reminds me of my own experience in SA.
Your English composition impresses me. Your language skills reach to the border of journalism.

Publishing exposure is an enigma and comes only to those data that reach popular interest.
It may have the embryonic earmarks of a journalistic development for a book. Keep posting to it!

7:14 PM  
Blogger jam said...

Hi Again Amanda,

I should have said "we hardly know eachother".

Also,I signed my comment JAM which you may not identify.
Keep on posting

Jim MacRae

7:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi nanaaaa im here now

Stefan :)

3:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi Amanda...when do we get your next report??? Do let her post it Stefan!....am watching with fascination. Enjoy the journey...luvgrammajo

4:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Miss you. Can we meet on line at Christmas. Give us an update here soon.

9:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home