AFRICAN BONANZA

DREAMS TAKE TIME, PATIENCE, SUSTAINED EFFORT, A WILLINGNESS TO FAIL IF THEY ARE EVER TO BE ANYTHING MORE THAN DREAMS.

Friday, June 29, 2007

KAMPALA, UGANDA

WOW. What a city. This place is pretty incredible. The hustle and bustle of Kampala was totally unexpected. I got to the border and wasn't feeling so well so really didn't want to take the matatu all the way to the city. Lucky for me a nice couple let me jump into their very nice landrover and off I went. We also had a bunch of other local Ugandan hitchhikers needing a ride home. The couple had been driving from the coast in Kenya so after being so tired and realizing I could drive - I was promoted to driver and owned the Ugandan roads for a while. Other than seeing a dead man on the side of the road who had gotten his bycicle in the way of a transport, it was a pleasant experience. We'll just put that memory to rest with the others I don't want to recall about my travels in Africa. It was bound to happen at some point as the main transportation around here is by far the bycicle. I planned to go back to my village on Sunday evening but once again the rush from travelling and seeing new places has already formed a new agenda for me. I've met a girl named Grance from LA who's been travelling on her own for over a year and I just have to join her on a short 'safari'. Tomorrow we are going to the "sese" islands (and I'm sure that's not how you spell it)... we'll stay there basking in the sun for a couple days before retnring back to Kampala on Monday. Monday night there is a big 'jam fest' at a theatre in the city... followed by going to do white water rafting on Tuesday at the source of the nile in a city called Jinja. Afterwards we'll drive together back to my little village in Kenya where she's looking forward to seeing what roughing it in the African village is like. I love showing people that place. I might not have covered numerous coutries all over the globe - but one thing is for sure. I have fallen in love with a community and it's people, and I wouldn't change a moment of it for anything.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bill said...

Hi Amanda:)
Beautiful pictures! I am glad that the face of volunteerism is one that is so bright and cheery. I have enjoyed reading your blog. My life is not one of happiness, but I am humbled by your blog and it's example. Puts my life in perspective somewhat. You do good works and for a noble cause. Stay safe. God bless.
Bill

9:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have been very lucky meeting so many nice people along the way and have done so much for that little village that you have fallen in love with.

Miss you

Love MOm

6:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home