AFRICAN BONANZA

DREAMS TAKE TIME, PATIENCE, SUSTAINED EFFORT, A WILLINGNESS TO FAIL IF THEY ARE EVER TO BE ANYTHING MORE THAN DREAMS.

Thursday, June 14, 2007

FROM RAGS TO RICHES! A NEW BEGINNING FOR ONE WOMAN'S FAMILY!

Recall an early posting where I described a house as "the world-vision TV like house". I wrote that because it reminded me of the kinds of things I saw on the world vision advertisements when I was a little girl. I always loved watching that show. It wasn't that it was entertaining but somehow it made me equally happy and sad. It's also a big part of why I'm here today doing what I am. Within the first month that I started my work here in Shibanze I came across a woman living in a house that was almost completley fallen over with her two young children. Later I also came to realize that she had a third child that goes to a special school for the handicapped. And even later after that I found out that her first born child (a girl) had died at the age of six years from severe malnutrition. During her pregnancy with her fourth and final child (baby Issah), she also lost her husband. Here in Shibanze women marry with hopes of being well taken care of with food and shelter. They often don't complete half of primary school and therefore have not learned the skills in which to take action for the outcome of their own lives. And they are often very poorly taken care of. It is a tough, sad REALITY. Through my work I am attempting to change that reality and give the people of Shibanze a CHOICE. To educate women about what they can do to help themselves - and how they can bring up their children in such a way as to create a more stable future in the community. It's a struggle each and every day. It's not until now that I see the difference that I have made... and it's taken 5 months for me to realize it. That's one of the reasons that it is so hard for me to leave this place. I feel like I'm just getting started. Gaining the trust of the community and really creating a foundation for serious change. One woman from Manitoulin Island has made changing one woman's reality possible. This is a story I won't forget.

Imagine that this is what your house looked like from the outside...

And when you looked out from the inside, this is what you saw...

And just think... this is how you feed your children.

Your adorable children!

IMAGINE! You can't. And this is why you don't see a smile on her face. And this is why you don't see the child with any clothing. This is an example of the extreme poverty I've found in the village where I work - and that I unfortunately have to see on a regular basis. But, it gets better. At least for this woman!

Now you are about to see what I've been up to for the past three weeks. Time well spent. You are about to witness what happened when one woman decided to donate A NEW LIFE and erase poverty from one family's life forever!!!!!!! Work has NEVER been so much fun.... In fact, this isn't work. Not a single day in the past five months has felt like work!

DAY 1 - THE BIG SURPRISE.

We pulled up in a pick up truck with all the supplies needed to build a new house for one family. Amida had NO IDEA this was coming. It was a priceless moment. She couldn't even show that she was happy because she was in such disbelief.

Above: the lumber we bought to build the frame of the house with!

And that's right. The mud underneath is what's left over of the old house. So good to see it knocked over! Good riddens!
Some of the 26 iron sheets used to make the roof!
Curious neighbours came to see Karima and baby Issah's new house (Karima in her school uniform holding baby Issah in the front right).

Working hard...

Now those are looking like walls... a bit???!!!!!!!

Two of the 'fundys' fixing up the roofing posts.

And voila, a roof over their heads!!!! The building team taking a quick break! Much deserved. Thanks guys! Amida checking out her new house... still in disbelief that it's all hers. Neighbours told me she was asking if this was some kind of a joke or if this was really all for HER when I wasn't around. I SEE YOUR SMILE AMIDA!!!!!!!! And it's getting bigger every day!

Amida works hard for two days... now we have walls!!!!! Waiting for the first round of mud to dry and then to apply some more! Fun stuff!

The building team! Amida standing in the back row with the pink shirt, Karima kneeling with me, and baby Issah on the right...

Last weekend I met Amida early in the morning at the Saturday market in a nearby village. We gave her a 500 shilling (10 dollar) spending limit and she is now the proud owner of a new business. Sure, it doesn't look like much but it reallllllly reallllllllllly is! She's been successful so far and even went back on her own 2 days ago to purchase more goods! GOOD JOB AMIDA!

So you think things are exciting so far? The party has just begun!!!!!! Just two days ago (Saturday) I surprised Amida again - this time with a truckload of new things for her house! Three beds, kitchen supplies, used clothing.... even three chickens which I carried myself since I'm so experienced having been given numerous chickens by local women since I arrived!!!!! Let's go in and check things out!!!!!

The festivities started with me being swarmed by all children within hearing distance. They all ran into the house and started singing and dancing... all in thanks for what was being brought for Amida's new house. I was so amazed to see how much she was supported throughout this entire project even though these kids you are seeing weren't actually recieiving anything... It was truly overwhelming. I don't know how I didn't cry this day. But somehow, I managed. Just try to imagine having about 50 people singing and dancing around you in this rural village setting in Africa!!!!! It's CRAZY. CRAZY I SAY!

Every child... even the smallest of the smallest helped to carry something inside.

I've never seen Amida smile. Never! Look at her now. Who knew three chickens could bring one person so much joy? She just couldn't wait to get her picture taken. The first time I took her picture I think she wanted to die! Beside her is Mamma Jamila (left) who has been absolutely INCREDIBLE in helping me make all of this happen. She's a sister-in-law to Amida and deserves some serious praise.... she was the one who cooked the meals while the fundy's were building, the one who kept the house a secret for 2 weeks, and the one who gathered everyone together for the big surprise! JAMILLA, you are the best!

Once I FINALLY got everyone quiet, I picked each item out of the shopping bags one by one and passed them along to Jamila, and then Amida. After every piece the kids did this celebration clap. It was awesome!

And we couldn't end the day without a group picture!!!!! Look at Amida's bright white teeth showing through her BIG smile!

Now this is what I was waiting for! The picture that made all of it complete! Amida is GLOWING with happiness!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

WAY TO GO KIDDO

3:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

God Bless the benefactor.

Good work Amanda

Love Mom

4:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. What an inspirational blog! I am truly touched by what you have done and what you are still doing.
You are one very special girl -stay stoked and keep spreading your happiness and goodwill.
People like you make the world a much better place.
With love
Tash, Rudy and the Ansteys crew

10:15 AM  
Blogger Duncan Ogaro Mikae said...

You are doing a very good Job Amanda,am very sure God will repay you one day.
Keep alive the spirit

4:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amanda, your sent from heaven. Thanks for a good job Dear.

11:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home